tideshift

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Fear of Falling

I was talking to my son today about (among other things) "rich" and "poor," that, compared to most of the people in most of the world, we are a rich family, because we have enough to eat and a warm place to sleep.

I think it all boils down to the lack of a maximum. Knowing that there are huge wealth inequities in America and the world, and feeling my own family's economic insecurity, doesn't make me want to "get ahead," and collect more money so that I can never feel afraid of hunger and homelessness.

It makes me want to bring up the bottom rung so that it wouldn't include hunger and homelessness, so neither I nor anyone else would ever have reason to be afraid of falling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home