tideshift

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Whale Rider

I just finished watching the 2002 film Whale Rider, about a young Maori girl in New Zealand and her struggle to get her tradition-bound grandfather to realize she is the leader for their people that he has been seeking and waiting for, much of his life. But he couldn't see that she was, because she is a girl. In the end, he did see; they all will have to, and soon.

It's been a rough week. I've also been reading Elaine Aron's book - The Highly Sensitive Person http://www.hsperson.com/ after a long conversation with my brother last week. I don't take good care of myself, given how powerfully everything affects me. Very busy week, preparing for a yard sale today, trying to keep up with my kids, trying to keep up with my reading, and writing, and dishes. Now I can't remember what I did to make all that time disappear.

Tonight I saw a bit about Politics of Jesus, new book, doing well. http://www.randomhouse.com/author/results.pperl?authorid=68627

The Motherhood Manifesto is also doing well; they're posting chapters for people to read on the Internet, and encouraging mothers to send in stories about our own struggles with maternity leave, child care, etc. http://www.momsrising.org/manifesto/chapter2

Eavesdropped a bit at my son's T-ball game; the women there had one horror story after another of trying to find part-time work, child care fiascos, and terrible illnesses, and quitting and finding more work, two jobs, three jobs, always a personal problem, always left to each family to muddle through and then try to block out the pain of those young child years. I try to think sometimes that our children will hear my husband and me tell stories about the old days, and they won't believe us.

"What!" they'll say. "Families with young children got no extra time off from work! Child care wasn't cheap, accessible and high quality? Every family had to cook for themselves every single night! There were no community centers for mothers to socialize! Health care was only available through employment! What kind of monsters were in charge back then? How did you manage?"

But they'll remember all those things all too well. Their mother's sanity bending and buckling regularly under the pressure - their strong, caring, anxious father stepping in to shelter them while he tries to hold down a research science job too. Even his boss recently acknowledged, in admitting it's difficult for older professionals to see their life's work shrinking, their staff members laid off one by one, that it must be even harder for the young scientists: what does the future hold for all that talent, with all those ideas, and such passion to find causes and cures for human suffering, when federal funding of basic research is eroded by war-making?

Read a letter by Dede, sister of Cindy Sheehan, aunt of Casey Sheehan, all about the torment of the Iraqi families - who have now lost more than 42,000 of their loved ones through George Bush's liberation exercise - and about the tired, tired, tired peace activists http://www.michaelmoore.com/mustread/index.php?id=654

And an essay by Greg Palast, about how Ken Lay's conviction does nothing to undo the deregulation that will continue to pinch us all and grow the corporate profits. Would that the 401(k) truly gave us all power to control the companies and ensure their good treatment of families and communities, rather than just the illusion that we share in the wealth of the real directors.

Onward.

1 Comments:

  • That's a good one Katherine. I enjoyed reading it. You write very well. I know we are all busy but I hope we can try and do something to make the situation better for all of us in these early motherhood years. I know you are doing your part by posting this blog - it makes me feel connected to something bigger than this crazy day to day life with the children (which I love, but without a connection to others it becomes difficult).

    By Anonymous Anne, At 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home